PA Live Recipe: West African Vegetable Stew
Edit: If you missed Laurie on PA Live today, the video is now up on their website. Please check it out!
Did you catch MFHS Nutritionist Laurie on PA Live today? Want to make her delicious West African vegetable stew? Here’s the recipe for this healthy and tasty recipe:
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch half slices
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins or Craisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Bouillon Paste
- 14 ounces water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chick peas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 4 cups coarsely chopped spinach
1. Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
2. Add potatoes and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes. Add raisins, cinnamon, red pepper, broth and water. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes.
3. Add chickpeas and spinach. Heat through. Serve over cooked rice or couscous, if desired.