PA Live! Fun Fall Recipes
Looking for the recipes from our appearance on PA Live! today? Look no further – everything you need to make these fun and healthy dishes is right here. We also have more WIC friendly recipes to try once you’ve mastered these yummy treats!
Recipe 1: Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp half & half or cream
- 8 oz. pasta
- Begin boiling a large pot of water for your pasta. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and boil until al dente (7-10 minutes). Drain in a colander.
- While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. Mince two cloves of garlic and add them to a large skillet with one tablespoon of butter. Sauté over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, or just until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin purée and chicken broth to the skillet and stir to combine. Add the nutmeg, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and some freshly cracked black pepper. Stir in the spices and let the sauce simmer over medium-low heat while the pasta cooks (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Once the pasta is finished cooking and is draining in a colander, add the half and half or cream to the skillet and stir it into the pumpkin sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt if needed (this will depend on the type of broth you use). Finally, stir the drained pasta in to the sauce and serve.
Recipe 2: Monster Mouth Recipe
Looking for some kid-friendly treats for your next monster-themed or Halloween party? These are perfect!
- 2 Green Apples
- Jar of Peanut Butter
- Yogurt Covered Raisins, Almond Slivers or any other small seeds
Clean, core, and cut apples into 8 slices. Use approximately 1 tablespoon of peanut butter to “glue” the apples together. Then insert the teeth (using either Yogurt Covered Raisins or Almond Slivers) and a strawberry tongue
Recipe 3: “Boo”nana Pops
These fun frozen bananas are as simple as they are healthy. You’ll need just three ingredients.
Minutes to Prepare: 5
Number of Servings: 2
- 1 banana, sliced in four
- 4 popsicle sticks or wooden skewers
- 1/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 4 mini chocolate chips
Carefully poke the banana onto the skewer. Spread the yogurt over the bananas. Gently place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Adorn with two mini chocolate chips as eyes. Freeze until firm and serve.