Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program
During the summer and early fall, eligible WIC participants can receive checks to purchase fresh Pennsylvania grown fruits and vegetables through the the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP). The program is jointly sponsored by the United States Department of Agriculture, the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture and the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
Who gets Farmers’ Market checks?
Farmer’s Market checks are for pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, and children ages 6 months to 5 years who participate in the WIC program in Pennsylvania. New in 2021: children 6 – 11 months now also qualify!
How much are the Farmers’ Market checks worth?
This year, eligible WIC participants will receive $24.00 (four checks of $6.00 each) to purchase fresh produce at participating Farmers’ Markets.
What Farmers’ Market locations accept the checks?
Please check out the website link below or download the FMNP app to your smartphone for an updated list of participating farmers for the 2020 season.
- Visit www.pafmnp.com. The website is accessible on mobile devises and can use your location to show the closest markets to you.
- Download the Farmers’ Market locator app available for free on Google Play or Apple Store. Just search “PA FMNP” to download to your smartphone.
How will I get Farmers’ Market checks?
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Farmers’ Market checks can be mailed to eligible WIC participants this year, or picked up at the WIC Center during a scheduled eWIC card reloading appointment. WIC Centers are not able to serve walk-ins during this time.
How do I use the FMNP checks?
- Use your FMNP checks between June 1, 2020 and November 30, 2020.
- Find a participating Farmers’ Market on www.pafmnp.com or by using the PA FMNP app
- Practice social distancing and wear masks at farmers’ markets and farm stands.
- A proxy may go to markets to make the purchase for you.
- Sign your check before going to the market, or take your own pen. Sign in the “Signature Recipient or Proxy” block on the front of the check.
- At the farmers’ market, look for a poster showing which farmers accept the FMNP checks.
- Select fruits and vegetables you wish to purchase. Produce must be “Grown or Growable in Pennsylvania”. See list below.
- Ask the farmer if you are unsure of what you can purchase with the FMNP checks. They will know which produce is eligible.
- Each check is worth $6. Farmers are not permitted to give change for purchases for less than $6.
Apples Berries Grapes Melons Pears
Apricots Cherries Nectarines Plums Peaches
Artichokes Cauliflower Leeks Parsnips Tomatoes
Asparagus Celery Lettuce Onions Turnips
Beans (fresh) Corn Mushrooms Radishes Winter Squash
Beets Cucumbers Peppers Rhubarb Yams grown in PA
Broccoli Eggplant Potatoes Rutabagas Zucchini
Brussels sprouts Greens Peas Spinach
Cabbage Kohlrabi Okra Sweet Potatoes
- No actual plants are permitted for purchase only the mature fruit and/or vegetable is allowable for purchase with the FMNP checks.
- Fresh cut herbs are allowed if they are used for cooking or flavoring
- Processed food is not allowed for purchase with FMNP Checks. Jack-o-lanterns are not allowable.
- Citrus or tropical fruits are not allowed for purchase with FMNP checks (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, bananas, pineapples, mangoes, etc.)
Nutrition Education – Using Fresh Produce for Healthy Meals
Your WIC nutrition staff can provide you with ideas, tips and recipes for using fresh produce. Visit www.nutrition.gov for additional information.
Information For Farmers
Call the PA Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program at 1-800-468-2433 or 717-772-2693 or write to: Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program, Bureau of Food Distribution, 2301 North Cameron Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9408.
For more information on the Farmers’ Market nationally, visit: