Maternal and Family Health Services’ programs touch the lives of over 90,000 people each year and empower individuals and families of diverse backgrounds to lead healthier lives. Our mission of empowerment, inclusion, and caring extends to our valued staff as well. We are better together because of our diversity, recognition of differences as strengths, and commitment to providing a culture of acceptance internally as well as to the people we serve.
Working to meet the health and nutritional needs of women, children and families with information, education, and quality care, MFHS is currently seeking a per diem Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA) for our Scranton Circle of Care location.
The Expanded Function Dental Assistant (EFDA) provides a variety of patient care, office, and laboratory duties that require both interpersonal and technical skills. The position works under the direct supervision of the dentist and assists the dentist and/or Public Health Dental Hygiene Practitioner during the examination and treatment of patients presenting for oral health care. The EFDA assists with scheduling appointments, collecting payments, and billing. Under the direction of the dentist and PHDHP, the EFDA provides education, including pre and post preventive and pre/post restorative care instructions to clients. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining the dental equipment and dental emergency kit and may provide fluoride applications to teeth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Supports dental care delivery by preparing treatment room by following prescribed procedures and protocols and preparing the patient for treatment by providing a warm welcome, offering comfort and seating, and answering questions and providing information.
- Schedule appointments, prepare bills and receive payment for dental services.
- Performs procedures in compliance with the PA Dental Practice Act.
- Assembles instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area, positioning instruments for dentist’s access, suctioning, and passing instruments.
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient’s mouth.
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies and pouring, trimming, and polishing study casts.
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations and cleaning and polishing removable appliances and placing and polishing composite and amalgam restorations.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply, and emergency telephone directory.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, and postoperative instructions.
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations, and adhering to infection control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs, maintaining equipment inventories, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing, and expediting orders for supplies, and verifying receipt of supplies; and provides efficient and cost effective utilization of dental resources and supplies.
- Promotes and contribute to organizational and programmatic goals of MFHS.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested by the Director of Dental Services in accordance with the Dental Practice Act.
- Contributes to team effort.
- Radiologic certification by the PA State Board of Dentistry or National Radiology Certification by Dental Assisting National Board (DANB)
- EFDA State Certification required Active CPR license
- PA Child Abuse, PA Criminal Background and FBI Fingerprint clearances required.
- 3 years expanded function dental assisting experience in a dental clinic or practice
- Ability to perform operations with units involved in measuring and weighing.
- Deductive reasoning – ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Fundamentals of basic software and database programs to input and/or extract information. (ie: Electronic Medical Records systems)
- Willingness and means to travel up to 30% of time.
- Work occasional evenings and Saturdays.
MFHS offers employees:
- Family friendly schedules – no holidays, evenings, or weekends
- Paid training & development
- Wonderfully collaborative and supportive culture
Join our compassionate & caring team!
MFHS is an ADA and EEO employer. Persons representing all aspects of diversity are encouraged to apply