Maternal and Family Health Services promotes breastfeeding as the most perfect infant food and encourages new mothers to choose breastfeeding because it is proven to have significant advantages for new mothers as well as infants.
The MFHS WIC Nutrition Program offers valuable information and resources for breastfeeding mothers. WIC Staff are trained extensively on techniques to promote and support your breastfeeding efforts. Some of the topics covered include:
- Advantages to mother and baby
- How to breastfeed
- Helpful hints
- Problem solving techniques
- Referrals for further help
The MFHS WIC program also collaborates with our Nurse-Family Partnership program to provide support and education related to breastfeeding so that new moms can feel empowered to breastfeed.
NFP nurses will provide:
- Factual education about breastfeeding
- Information about breast pumps and how to obtain them
- Answer questions related to breastfeeding
- Physical assistance to the new mom and her baby – latching and assessment
- Referral information to WIC Peer Counselors
- Discussions related to the benefits of and preparing for breastfeeding start with the pregnant mother and continues with mothers who have chosen to breastfeed after the baby is born.
Please visit the CDC site for advice for pregnant and breastfeeding women during the COVID-19 pandemic.