Maternal and Family Health Services’ programs touch the lives of over 90,000 people each year and empower individuals and families of diverse backgrounds to lead healthier lives. Our mission of empowerment, inclusion, and caring extends to our valued staff as well. We are better together because of our diversity, recognition of differences as strengths, and commitment to providing a culture of acceptance internally as well as to the people we serve.
Working to meet the health and nutritional needs of women, children and families with information, education, and quality care, MFHS is currently seeking a full time Medical Office Assistant at our Circle of Care location in Lackawanna County.
The Medical Office Assistant is responsible for the collection of patient data and the performance of screenings for patient eligibility determination across all MFHS programs. This position performs duties to assure optimum customer service and support of clinical services in accordance with organizational goals and program procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Greet and announce clients and guests promptly in a courteous, inviting manner in accordance with agency guidelines.
- Ensure the correct encounter type, provider and location is correct. Confirm that patient demographic information is completed and updated at each visit. Obtain consents/patient signatures as per protocol.
- Collects accurate patient demographic data, insurance information and verification eligibility for each patient visit and consistently enters patient data into client files and databases as required and/or necessary. Obtains insurance cards and scans into the patient chart. Processes necessary billing forms for all programs.
- Complete billing for each program per agency policy. Ensure patient co-pays are received and payment plans are offered and completed at time of service indicated.
- Schedule clients according to assigned scheduling templates across all programs. Utilize scheduling templates to ensure appointments are accurate according to pre-determined schedule and adjust only with direction from management.
- Follow up on missed appointments and confirm patient appointment as per program protocol and document in the patients record to include actions taken.
- Process referrals and or testing for clients as ordered by Clinical Care Providers at checkout in an efficient manner with documented follow-up in NextGen. Prepare and print order referrals for patients as directed and document follow-up in chart.
- Manages medical records according MFHS protocols. Ensures all consents, HIPAA and Disclosure of Information Template are completed in NextGen and confidentiality alerts are added as appropriate; ensure PHI log and Release of Records is completed, documented, and scanned into patient record.
- Prioritize processing all scanning per protocol including scanning documents into correct patient chart, name of document, correct date of document/test, correct category, and sent to the provider/nurse PAQ or task group as indicated.
- Collect and distribute client satisfaction surveys or other promotional items as directed on an ongoing basis. Encourage feedback from clients and alert Coordinator/Director of issues on a consistent basis. Ensure Marketing tab is completed.
- Maintain neat and orderly work area to ensure all team members have clear direction to fulfill completion of tasks in your absence.
- Field incoming calls and prioritize medical questions to clinical staff per protocol. Documents calls in patient charts and tasks the call to appropriate clinical staff for follow-up.
- Assist clinical staff in end of day operations as assigned and assist in stocking of office supplies. Responsible for opening and closing of the office as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Associates Degree preferred by not required
- 1-3 years’ experience preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Child Abuse, PA Criminal Record & FBI Clearances
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to perform operations with units involved in measuring and weighing
- Basic math skills such as adding, subtraction, division and reducing fractions
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. regularly
- Constant standing, turning, twisting, reaching, and sitting for long periods of time
- Occasional pushing, pulling, squatting, and walking