Health Insurance Resources
Open Enrollment for 2017 health plans starts November 1, 2016.
- November 1, 2016: Open Enrollment starts — first day you can enroll, re-enroll, or change a 2017 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2017.
- December 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for coverage to start January 1, 2017.
- January 1, 2017: 2017 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
- January 31, 2017: Last day to enroll in or change a 2017 health plan. After this date, you can enroll or change plans only if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.If you feel you may qualify for a special enrollment period, please visit Healthcare.gov to find an Enrollment Assistor near you.
Special Enrollment Life Events
Even after open enrollment is done, you may still qualify for a special enrollment period. You may enroll after any of the following life events:
- You qualify for Medicaid or Chip
- Getting married
- Having a baby
- Adopting a child or placing a child for adoption or foster care
- Losing other health coverage
- Moving outside your plan’s coverage area
- Gaining U.S. citizenship
- Being a member of a Native American tribe or an Alaska Native shareholder
- Leaving incarceration
- Having a change in income or household status that affects eligibility for tax credits
With so many types of health insurance and ways to get coverage, understanding health insurance can be a challenge. We have collected some online resources that can help you understand your options and choose the insurance plan that is right for you. We have also compiled some common Health Insurance Marketplace FAQs that can help answer some of your questions. And once you have health insurance, visit our locations page to find a MFHS provider near you.
- Marketplace Application Process
- Marketplace Enrollment Process
- More videos can be found on the HealthCare.gov Youtube page